Any advantages to RAID for DV?

sb videovideo at mac.com
Fri Dec 13 19:53:57 PST 2002

an external FW drive should be plenty fast enough for DV video. If you are
getting dropped frames you either have a lesser performing FW drive (Que
comes to mind), or your prefs are not set up correctly.

My favorite external FW drives is made by WiebeTech. You can buy a bare
case, take your IDE drive out of your poorly performing FW case and install
it in a Wiebe case. I've also used a 120gb La Cie without dropping frames.

I have several G4 towers with multiple internal drives. One machine has 6 of
them connected to two PCI IDE cards. I have them striped as RAID, but I use
them for uncompressed video, not for DV. Heat hasn't been an issue.

sb