[MacDV] Any advantages to RAID for DV?

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 13 21:00:18 PST 2002

On Friday, December 13, 2002, at 09:29 PM, Nicolas Kinnan wrote:

> I'm kind of picky when it comes to dropped frames and whatnot and I
> was wondering if there is any advantage to setting up, say, a two
> drive RAID O (I think) for editing DV.

When a frame gets dropped, its because it didn't get written to the
drive. No amount of RAID will fix that. Dropped frames are not because
the drive "forgets" the frame after its written, but because the frame
doesn't make it to the drive. Most RAID configurations are slower -
sacrificing speed for data security. Not what you want for DV.

SR