[MacDV] Re: RAID drives and data loss--MacDV Digest #1798

Gerhard Kuhn suspice at hay.net
Sat Dec 14 16:15:54 PST 2002

What you say is true but in order to improve throughput you would use a
RAID 0 setup to take advantage of the combined speed.  If the you set
the RAID drives to mirror one another you have increased your data's
security multifold but your drive's performance will not increase and
may even suffer. The way I understood the first post was that the
concern was dropped frames and using RAID to increase the performance of
the drive.

On Saturday, December 14, 2002, at 05:36  PM, Ted Langdell wrote:

> I'd disagree with your contention about RAID and data security.  What
> you
> say is only true if using "RAID 0 (zero), which is technically, NOT a
> true
> "Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives.
>
> BUT... my recollection of why RAID was a benefit for data security and
> in
> particular why it was pitched as a good thing in video editing (aside
> from
> speed) was that it made it possible to recover for losing one of the
> drives
> in the RAID array, since the data was spread out... say an eight bit
> word
> was written to eight drives, one bit of the word per drive.
>
> Loss of one of the drives wouldn't cripple recovering enough of the
> word to
> keep going.
>
> I did a Sherlock search for "RAID" and found this link to an
> explanation of
> what "RAID" is, and how it works.
>
> http://www.raidweb.com/whatis.html
>
> There are multiple "RAID" methods explained.
>
> Hope this is useful and clears up any misconceptions.
>
> Ted.
>
>> From: "Macintosh Digital Video List" <MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:08:26 -0800
>> To: "Macintosh Digital Video List" <MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>> Subject: MacDV Digest #1798
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 00:23:31 -0500
>> Subject: [MacDV] Re: Any advantages to RAID for DV?
>> From: Gerhard Kuhn <suspice at hay.net>
>>
>> One more thought on this.  A raid set up actually makes for less secure
>> data since the data is spread over multiple drives acting as one and if
>> one goes south so does all the data on all the drives.

> digest version.

Gerhard Kuhn
suspice at hay.net