RAID drives and data loss--MacDV Digest #1798

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Sat Dec 14 14:36:03 PST 2002

I'd disagree with your contention about RAID and data security.  What you
say is only true if using "RAID 0 (zero), which is technically, NOT a true
"Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives.

BUT... my recollection of why RAID was a benefit for data security and in
particular why it was pitched as a good thing in video editing (aside from
speed) was that it made it possible to recover for losing one of the drives
in the RAID array, since the data was spread out... say an eight bit word
was written to eight drives, one bit of the word per drive.

Loss of one of the drives wouldn't cripple recovering enough of the word to
keep going.

I did a Sherlock search for "RAID" and found this link to an explanation of
what "RAID" is, and how it works.

http://www.raidweb.com/whatis.html

There are multiple "RAID" methods explained.

Hope this is useful and clears up any misconceptions.

Ted.