[MacDV] Re: From the DV Expo this week in Los Angeles

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Thu Dec 19 12:06:39 PST 2002

(Rod, the link worked for me make sure the part after the "?" is
included in the URL.)

This thing is basically a USB capture device that goes straight to MPEG
(1 or 2), and it does not include the drive required to actually burn
what you create.

I'm skeptical about a couple of things:

- cheap hardware MPEG encoders usually don't deliver much as far as
quality is concerned, then again I haven't seen any output from this
specific device...

- I realize that the USB interface can *theoretically* handle the max
data rate that this thing can produce (8 Mbits/sec), but the spec for
USB 1.x maxes out at 12Mbits/sec, which doesn't leave much headroom for
any other devices on the USB chain.  Realize also that video capture is
a "real-time" action, and the USB interface was not designed to handle
such demanding "real-time" tasks.  It may require it's own dedicated
USB port (no hubs, keyboards, etc.), in which case there is a chance
that it would work fine, but that also means you need a Mac with two
USB buses (not just two ports, but two separately controlled USB
interfaces).

Having said all that, this product *does* seem tempting -- imagine
being able to *easily* create an SVCD in *real-time* on your Mac...
Real-time MPEG-2 encoding at 480x480, and authoring to (very)
inexpensive CD-R media.  That is, if it works as advertised.  If anyone
gives this thing a try, definitely let us listers know how well it
works.

- Mark