[MacDV] Digital8 vs. MiniDV Help?

markflo at mac.com markflo at mac.com
Wed Dec 25 18:42:06 PST 2002

I made my decision with a Sony TRV 320 (Digital8 format) two years ago, and
have not regretted it one bit.  I had a small library of some Video8 and Hi8
tapes, so that was the main factor for going with the Digital8 camera (able
to play old analog tapes and digitize through FireWire).  One thing to
consider that may seem like a minor thing to most people is the way the tape
loads.  My Digital8 camera loads through the side/top, but I use a MiniDV
camera at work that loads through the bottom -- so if it's mounted to a
tripod, you have to take it off, remove the tripod mount, change the tape
and set it back up again...  ugh.  As far as physical differences of the
tapes:  It seems to me that the Digital8 tapes would be more durable simply
because the they are twice as wide as MiniDV tapes (right?).  And the actual
recording surface is only slightly different depending on what kind of 8mm
tape you get -- Metal Particle or Metal Evaporated.  MiniDV tapes are Metal
Evaporated, so they are more durable than the Metal Particle Digital8 tapes,
but it is possible to get Metal Evaporated Digital8 tapes as well, so there
goes that argument (but that negates the cheaper cost for the Digital8
tapes).

Anyway... just some thoughts...  I'm totally happy with my Digital8 camera,
but if I wanted a higher-quality camera (lens, CCD, etc.), MiniDV would be
the way to go.  But for $600, it may be a toss-up...

The main concern would be:  Is there an existing library of Video8 or Hi8
videos?  If so, get the Digital8.  If not, then MiniDV may be the way to go,
since it seems to be the preferred video tape format of the future (and
present).

Hope that helps. (?)

- Mark

On 12/25/02 12:42 PM, "dayton" <dayton at del.net> wrote:

> Happy Holidays,
>
> Can somebody point me in the right direction (i.e. web site, reviews, personal
> experience, etc...) for helping my sister-in-law choose a new camcorder?
>
> All she wants is the bare minimum to do simple computer editing; she said $600
> would be reasonable.
>
> I have a Sony TRV330 Digital8 camcorder with which I've been reasonably
> satisfied; I suggested that at least D8 tapes are cheaper than miniDV tapes,
> but I really can't strongly recommend one format over another.  My target is
> to get her a quality, minimum bells & whistles unit.
>
> Any help or directions would be appreciated.
>
> Dayton

> Send a message to <MacDV-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the digest
> version.

Mark M. Florida