[MacDV] Re: clip art (Also: GraphicConverter titles)

Colin McDonald cmmcdonald at mac.com
Fri Dec 27 03:27:26 PST 2002

on 27/12/02 8:45, Scott Baldwin at sbaldwin at san.rr.com wrote:

> Vikki,
>
> IMovie can import only jpegs.  Any clip art you want to import to
> IMovie would have to be converted to a jpeg.  Fortunately the Mac has a
> fantastic program for graphic conversion and manipulation. It called
> "GraphicConverter"  If will convert ANY graphic file format into any
> other.  It is also an excellent graphic manipulation program, sort of
> Photoshop lite.
>
> Best of all it is shareware, and works in OS X.
>
> You can download it here:
>
> http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/imaging_3d/graphicconverter.html
>
> The shareware fee is only $30.00.  It is more than worth it.

Seconded - GC is 'must have' software.

Here's a trick for animated titles in iMovie using GraphicConverter - many
variations will occur to anyone who tries it:

1 Import a photograph or scan of a map into GraphicConverter
(or make up your own).

2 Make a copy of it (in GraphicConverter), and alter the brightness contrast
(bleach it out a bit).

that you wish your audience to concentrate on - eg a town or castle or
something. Ideally it should be near the centre of the image.

4 Paste the selection on to the bleached copy and move it around with the
arrow keys until it fits exactly (don't deselect it until that's finished).

5 Save both images as jpeg and import as stills into iMovie. By default this
will give you 5 second clips but you can change this in the preferences.

6 Now for the cunning bit - put both still clips (unbleached one first) in
the timeline and apply a transition to taste - cross dissolve or fade is
fine - and it should look great.

I usually find it gets a 'how did he do that?' from those who dabble in
iMovie. Most people don't really notice, which is the general idea. It just
extends the repertoire of professional looking effects possible with iMovie.

BTW, I think Apple is now bundling GraphicConverter (unregistered) with
eMacs at least. I just noticed it's already on the eMac that Santa brought
the kids.  Either he put it on or Apple did. :-)

Colin McDonald