[MacDV] Film Strip Scanners

Scott Baldwin sbaldwin at san.rr.com
Sat Dec 28 13:21:26 PST 2002

Steven,

a good compromise is the Epson 2450.  This is a flatbed scanner, but
the only one that can actually scan slides and negatives with a good
degree of quality.
This is because the 2450 puts a light source in the lid of the scanner,
so light is passing through the transparent media.  All other flatbeds
use a reflection technique which simply does not work.

This scanner has a firewire connection, and can do 4 slides or
negatives at a time.  it creates a separate file for each slide.

The results are very good.  I have to tweak the scanned photos in
photoshop, but over all I'm very pleased with the results.

At 600 dpi it takes about 13 minutes to scan 4 slides.

This scanner is going for about $350.00 at all the usual places.

Here is a description and reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005OCWM/qid=1041109978/sr=1-
1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-electronics/102-6860644-3576120

Cheers,

Scott