Sony DV Tape Stocks (HELP!)

Danny Grizzle danny at mogulhost.com
Sun Dec 29 10:47:34 PST 2002

After wasting an hour on Sony's website -- the *WORST* site on the Internet
-- I don't have the first clue about orientation to their DV tape product
line.

I've been shooting DVM60PR2, recommended by Promax, readily available at B&H
Photo. This product cannot be found on the Sony website.

>From what I can tell (not much), there are two grades of Sony consumer tape:

  + Excellence (high end, advantage: 2db)
  + Premium (standard grade)

DVM60PR2 has red packaging. Tape Resources offers DVM60PRL, blue packaging.

What is the difference in these two Premium tapes?

Does *anyone* (besides Sony) advocate using DVCAM pro-grade miniDV stock?
When I bought my PD150, Promax simply recommended DVM60PR2, which I have
found to be good advice.

I'd appreciate any comments in selecting a tape stock suitable for pro
production (working on a cable network pilot).

I'll save editorial on the Sony website for another time, other than to say
their web presence is worse than a totally wasted effort -- it succeeds at
nothing but wasting my time and making me angry towards the company. Sony
marketing has *for years* been run by a bunch of morons.

Danny Grizzle