[MacDV] Sony DV Tape Stocks (HELP!)

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sun Dec 29 11:39:23 PST 2002

Danny Grizzle wrote:

>After wasting an hour on Sony's website -- the *WORST* site on the Internet
>-- I don't have the first clue about orientation to their DV tape product
>line.
>
>I've been shooting DVM60PR2, recommended by Promax, readily available at B&H
>Photo. This product cannot be found on the Sony website.
>
>>From what I can tell (not much), there are two grades of Sony consumer tape:
>
>  + Excellence (high end, advantage: 2db)
>  + Premium (standard grade)
>
>DVM60PR2 has red packaging. Tape Resources offers DVM60PRL, blue packaging.
>
>What is the difference in these two Premium tapes?

This is the same tape. They changed the color of the packaging .

>Does *anyone* (besides Sony) advocate using DVCAM pro-grade miniDV stock?
>When I bought my PD150, Promax simply recommended DVM60PR2, which I have
>found to be good advice.
>
>I'd appreciate any comments in selecting a tape stock suitable for pro
>production (working on a cable network pilot).

I like the Excellence tapes but i use the formerly red now blue ones all
the time.
I have not tried a DVCam tape. But it could be a problem if you then
take it to the cable co. or somewhere and their DVCam capable machine
identifies it as such and tries to play it back as that instead of the
miniDV signal you put on it.
Such things have happened.