[MacDV] DV vs. Film

doug lauber dugster77 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 30 17:54:49 PST 2002

finalcutpro8 at netscape.net wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to produce an independent Film and I am wondering if anyone out there has shot on miniDV? Does anyone here have real field experience and can you tell me how DV compares in quality to 16MM and 35MM Film?
>
> Chris

16 and 35 look better than DV when projected in a theatre.
DV is much cheaper to shoot and edit.
DV doesn't look too bad when viewed on a TV monitor.
If I could afford 16 or 35, I'd go that route.
I can't, so I use miniDV.
Having said that, I feel good about shooting with miniDV,
because half of the fun is editing the material at home on
my Mac. Also, when shooting, I don't have to worry about
wasting valuable film stock.  -doug  (VX2000)