[MacDV] Best Option for transferring Video to DVD

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 31 17:50:54 PST 2002

>I have a Mac G4 with 733 mhz and a 40gb hd it also has 512 kb and a CD and a
>DVD burner installed. It also has imovie.  It is operation on Mac 9.2.  I
>have numerous VHS tapes, Hi8 video tapes and Digital 8 video tapes.  I have
>looked at the new Phillips DVD recorder which transfers video directly to
>DVD.  Has anyone tried one?  Would  this be my best option?  If you've tried
>it, what is the quality like?  Or should I purchase something for my Mac to
>transfer the videos? I don't intend to edit them, just to transfer them?

I use a (cheaper) Panasonic and have been pleased with the
results. As with any new DVD-R(W)/DVD+R(W), caveat emptor.
Remember the technology is not suitable for long term archival
use and playback is far from universal. But if you're
looking for an immediate solution, you'll probably be happy.

-- Erica