Copying MiniDV tapes

Sebastian Blanco sqb.geo at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 24 14:10:47 PST 2002

Hello. I know this question isn't Mac Video specific,
but I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out
how to dub MiniDV tapes. I've got a few that have time
code laspes and that's no good for FCP3. I have two
MiniDV cameras (sony) and a 4-pin to 4-pin firewire
cable. I can get the image to appear in the camera
that has the blank tape in it (which is NOT write
protected) but when i push the record button nothing
happens. the instruction manual makes it sound like
all i need to do is hit record, and i can't find a
website with clear instructions. i've tried the master
tape in both cameras, even though i don't see what
difference it would make. both cameras are plugged
into the wall and not running on battery or anything.
what important thing am i missing? thanks in advance
for any help you've got for me.
Sebastian