[MacDV] Copying MiniDV tapes

Bobbo bobbo924 at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 24 14:19:20 PST 2002

>Hello. I know this question isn't Mac Video specific,
>but I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out
>how to dub MiniDV tapes. I've got a few that have time
>code laspes and that's no good for FCP3. I have two
>MiniDV cameras (sony) and a 4-pin to 4-pin firewire
>cable. I can get the image to appear in the camera
>that has the blank tape in it (which is NOT write
>protected) but when i push the record button nothing
>happens. the instruction manual makes it sound like
>all i need to do is hit record, and i can't find a
>website with clear instructions. i've tried the master
>tape in both cameras, even though i don't see what
>difference it would make. both cameras are plugged
>into the wall and not running on battery or anything.
>what important thing am i missing? thanks in advance
>for any help you've got for me.
>Sebastian

On some Sony cams, there is a menu choice to switch video inputs. My Dig8
has input selections for Video 1 and Video 2. There is no reference to this
in the bloody manual, a frustrating state of affairs but not unusual. I
think rejected writers go to Manual Heaven when they die, and are forced to
write in a second language. In any case, it might be a menu assignment
getting in the way. Have you checked that yet?

Bobbo

19 new Nature images online at  http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
Voice over -- http://www.bob-vo.com