[MacDV] Re: Copying MiniDV tapes

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sun Nov 24 14:24:27 PST 2002

Bobbo wrote:

>>Hello. I know this question isn't Mac Video specific,
>>but I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out
>>how to dub MiniDV tapes. I've got a few that have time
>>code laspes and that's no good for FCP3. I have two
>>MiniDV cameras (sony) and a 4-pin to 4-pin firewire
>>cable. I can get the image to appear in the camera
>>that has the blank tape in it (which is NOT write
>>protected) but when i push the record button nothing
>>happens. the instruction manual makes it sound like
>>all i need to do is hit record, and i can't find a
>>website with clear instructions. i've tried the master
>>tape in both cameras, even though i don't see what
>>difference it would make. both cameras are plugged
>>into the wall and not running on battery or anything.
>>what important thing am i missing? thanks in advance
>>for any help you've got for me.
>>Sebastian
>>

>On some Sony cams, there is a menu choice to switch video inputs. My Dig8
>has input selections for Video 1 and Video 2. There is no reference to this
>in the bloody manual, a frustrating state of affairs but not unusual. I
>think rejected writers go to Manual Heaven when they die, and are forced to
>write in a second language. In any case, it might be a menu assignment
>getting in the way. Have you checked that yet?
>
>Bobbo

He can see it ok .
Here . Press the record button and the button linked by a little line to
the record button at the same time.
In the flip scrreen you will see only a red dot. But if you close the
screen and look in the View finder you will see that you are recording.
Tape is moving numbres are flying by.
You might have to use the analog inputs to undo  the timecode drops though.
Jim