[MacDV] Christmas Present (to self)

Gerhard Kuhn suspice at hay.net
Sun Nov 24 17:57:29 PST 2002

I have a LaCie 80gig hard drive that spins at 7200 rpm and you would
think that it should be able to capture direct to the drive but my
experience has been that after a minute or so  the capture will stop (I
use a Sony DV camcorder).  The drive works for editing and exporting to
iDVD, I have never tried exporting back to the camera.  This seems not
to be a problem limited to LaCie firewire drives and really only adds
one step for me since my internal drive is 60 gig and I can keep enough
empty space on it for my captures.  With a 9 gig drive you may not have
that option.
The aluminum case on the LaCie drive looks great on the desktop and I
was impressed with the speed you can copy from the internal to the
external drive but it just doesn't work for video capturing in my setup.

Gerhard Kuhn
suspice at hay.net