Sony camcorders

F. Mortes fmortes at saltidiomes.com
Tue Nov 26 09:14:01 PST 2002

Greetings!

I'm a very humble iMovie aficionado and mostly do home videos and the
odd school event.

My camcorder (Panasonic NV-DS35EG) was stolen a couple of weeks
ago :-( ....

.... but fortunately it was insured, and it looks as though I'll be
getting about 1,000 euros back. Sooo, I'm looking to buy a new baby.

Questions & nagging doubts:

My Panasonic's CCD was (according to the manufacturer) 570,000 pixels
and delivered what I thought was acceptable picture quality. I rather
liked the built-in mike, which could record conversations across a
fairly large room.

Now I'm looking to buy a Sony camcorder (I've heard that the Carl Zeiss
lenses make a difference and that, in general, their technology delivers
better results) and it looks as though I have three options:

a) DCR P115, with 1,550,000 pixels @ 1,500 euros

Supposedly great CCD resolution, but I really don't need the extra
features (MPEG, eMovie, Memory Stick, photo stills -of dubious quality,
anyway). It's also a bit beyond my budget, although I'm willing to
consider it.

b) DCR P101, with 1,070,000 pixels @ 1,300 euros

More affordable, fewer "fancy" features, it seems

c) DCR PC8, with 800,000 pixels @ 1,100 euros

Again, it still has some features I don't need (e.g. touch screen), but
more cheaper.

Clearly there seems to be a close relationship between price and CCD,
right?

Which would you buy and why?

Thanks in advance!

Francesc