[MacDV] Re: Desktop DV Recorders Mac Compatibilty

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Sun Aug 3 09:05:27 PDT 2003

I've been using the older JVC HR-DVS1 for a few years too. In
addition to using L-3, sometimes you have to reboot the firewire bus.
Just unplug the firewire cable wait to the JVC deck, wait a few
seconds and bingo... you are connected. Are you using additional
external drives? A good idea. I am running everything through a
desktop connected PB Ti 667 DVI. It is driving a separate computer
monitor, 3 FW drives, an NTSC video monitor, a DVD burner and the JVC
deck. Aside from the assorted USB goodies. I had to fool around with
an external firewire 3-port to get the proper sequence that left
everything happy. It works with everything Mac video. FCP, FCP
Express and iMovie. I am running OSX (10.2.6) and except for FCP
(3.02) everything is the latest and "allegedly" the greatest. I
digress... iMovie 3.02 while better is still not ready for prime
time. Maybe I need help from Erica. Don't we all?

A trick that was posted a couple of years ago with the JVC deck and I
have used it many times, is to bring analogue video directly into the
Mac without first loading it onto a miniDV or even a VHS tape. You
just capture/transfer from either a VHS tape or an external
RCA/S-Video connection by-way-of video camera and it flows directly
into the editing program of choice. I had to capture some older
format Hi-8 mm tapes and connected it directly to the front RCA audio
and S-Video ports of the JVC and transferred/captured directly into
Final Cut Pro. It flowed through the JVC deck without tapes and right
into the program. This "trick" wasn't documented anywhere in the JVC
manual. I can't take credit. A wise female soul posted it here a
couple of years ago. Please stand up and take a bow. Eternally in
your debt.