[MacDV] iDVD3 quality issues

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 7 10:18:09 PDT 2003

>I hope you'll bear with me. I am a little confused.
>
>I have just completed a one-hour travel video in FCP 3.0, and
>subsequently burned several DVDs with iDVD3, using Mac System
>10.2.3. The project accumulated over 40 gigs by the time I was ready
>to burn. The result is adequate but disappointing in one respect:
>the video quality comes close to the original DV footage, but
>reveals at times a gauzy pixellation in certain shots. I am
>wondering if this is a natural limit of the compression software, or
>if I have made some errors along the way.

Pixelation usually occurs when there's too much action in
footage for the compressor to display.

You can use a better compressor (Apple's Compressor is part
of FCP4 and DVDSP2) with a dual-pass variable bit rate algorithm
but then you'd need DVDSP to author the disc. iDVD doesn't import
pre-compressed footage

-- Erica