[MacDV] Re: OT Webdesign

Karla-Tonella at uiowa.edu Karla-Tonella at uiowa.edu
Thu Aug 7 10:00:21 PDT 2003

Richard Gilmore <rgilmor at uwo.ca> wrote:
>I use Dreamweaver (and Fireworks), like them just fine, haven't used
>GoLive. Is
>Dreamweaver really that bad? Just curious...

I don't want to start a GoLive/Dreamweaver war but no, Dreamweaver
isn't really bad at all -- it's great!  I've taught many faculty
members to build or maintain their Web pages in Dreamweaver.  It
doesn't need to be intimidating if it is presented as a friendly,
easy-to-use application.  People just need to know that there are
many features available that they may never use and, as Stuart
Smalley would say, "that's okay!"

Both programs offer easy layout approaches that hide the HTML codes
from view until you need to see it or work with it.  This allows new
users to jump right in but also allows more advanced users to work
with raw code if they like.  Both programs make it possible to use
javascript and cascading stylesheets without really knowing what
either is about. Both programs allow you to make a mess if you don't
understand the underlying code but provide a way for expert advisors
to untangle the knots beneath the surface.

I believe there are more Dreamweaver resources out there -- more
online training opportunities, more video training, and more
experienced users around to lend a hand.  I think the genesis of the
parent companies makes a difference too. Adobe started with desktop
publishing and remains focused there. Macromedia has had a Web focus
from the beginning -- even it's image editing program, Fireworks, is
not really suited for desktop publishing.

Karla-Tonella at uiowa.edu
Obermann Center for Advanced Studies
http://www.uiowa.edu/~obermann/