[MacDV] Audio-Technica ATR25 microphone

Karla-Tonella at uiowa.edu Karla-Tonella at uiowa.edu
Fri Aug 8 09:34:08 PDT 2003

>This microphone says that it has a "Dual Unidirectional" polar
>pattern.  I am assuming that the "dual" part is because of it being
>stereo, but does the "unidirectional" part mean that it only picks
>up sound from the direction that it is pointed?  Since "uni" mean
>one, that is my assumption.  Is this what is referred to as a
>"shotgun" mic?

You are making correct assumptions but unidirectional and shotgun do
not mean the same thing.  Shotgun is a subcategory of unidrectional
-- they have narrower polar response patterns than other
unidirectional mics.  Shotgun mics can usually be recognized by their
extra long shape with many ports along the side (used to cancel out
sound to narrow the pattern).  Audio-Technica has two stereo shotgun
mics, the AT815ST and the AT835ST.

Here's a very short explanation of microphone types
http://www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/ZAAPf/m/microphones(mr).html

Karla-Tonella at uiowa.edu
Obermann Center for Advanced Studies
http://www.uiowa.edu/~obermann/