[MacDV] Help Blacking a Tape/Time Code

Craig Busch clbusch at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 8 09:29:22 PDT 2003

Paul,
That is an interesting request.  I would probably ask for more information.  If it is
MiniDV, it looks like they are asking you  to strip your take starting at 58 minutes.  I
could see striping your tape and starting your video at 58 seconds on the tape which
would be 00:00:58:00.  I pre stripe my tapes in my DV camera.  I just insert the tape and
leave the lens cap on and push record and let the tape play to the end.  Then you have
the tape time code striped to the end and don't have to worry about timecode breaks.  As
far as 29.97 Non drop frame- no big deal, that is what your US camcorder will record in.
Maybe I am missing something here, but if you can, I would call for clarification on the
58 issue.  That would give the person 58 seconds to cue you video.  You don't want it to
start at the bigging of the tape- ever.  That is where the tape gets lots of stress.  If
all of the entries start at 58 seconds then it would be issue to cue.  That is unless the
shorts are really short- less than 2 minutes.  Even then, why would they want to fast
forward 58 minutes on each entry.
Hope you can call and get it clarified.  If I am wrong let me know, as I would like to
understand what they are saying.
Good luck,
Craig