[MacDV] LCD screens for DV editing ?

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Fri Aug 15 11:49:58 PDT 2003

No matter what computer screen you use, they are ALL useless for
judging video color. It would be FAR better, if video editing is your
game, to purchase a broadcast monitor instead of an LCD screen. With
21" CRTs so cheap (+/- $600), it would be better to get a good, big
CRT, and then a good broadcast monitor (I recommend the Sony PVM-14M4U
which has SMPTE C phosphors as an excellent candidate.) The combined
price of a big CRT and a broadcast monitor will come in about the same
as a 23" Cinema Display.

The advantages of the wide screen LCD's are palette space. While LCD's
can be calibrated for PRINT work, using very expensive analyzers, the
same is not really true for video, which has a totally alien color
space (NTSC) compared to the crisp RGB world of computing. NTSC video
is fickle, within its own particular color space, and soft by computer
standards, lacking any real resolution. Hi Def video makes claims on
resolution, but at 25-30 to 1 compression (the consumer, at home
standard for incoming or personally recordable Hi Def), the stuff is a
feast for fans of aliasing problems.

Unfortunately, the future of TV is about choice, not image quality, the
litmus test of which has been ongoing for years with satellite and
digital cable, both setting incredible new lows for image integrity,
but offsetting this with immense varieties of channels from which to
choose.

But in the world of producing video, whether to suffer aliasing or not
in transmission, the need for a broadcast monitor is paramount to any
real video editing effort.

You might think to use a TV set for monitoring... forget about it. TV
sets use special circuits to even out the disparity of broadcast
signals, rendering them only PARTIALLY useful to editing. Broadcast
monitors are an ENTIRELY different animal. I'll predict your utter
amazement when you see your DV/DVCAM footage for the first time on a
broadcast monitor. You'll think your in a Beta SP suite.

Richard Brown