[MacDV] LCD screens for DV editing ?

ShirleyK ShirleyKat at cox.net
Fri Aug 15 17:12:17 PDT 2003

Just a comment about CRT vs LCD for photo work. I had heard this too
and when I first compared an image on the flat-screen iMac to that on
my Mitsubishi Diamond Pro, I thought some photos looked better on the
CRT. But I'm changing my mind. I added a 20" Cinema to the Mitsubishi
specifically to put the palettes and text on the LCD and photos/movie
window on the CRT. But I've reversed that. The image is so much
brighter, more colorful, and crisper on the LCD that I use it first and
leave the CRT powered off unless I need the space for palattes.
Diagonal lines show the stairsteps much more prominently on the LCD. So
now I think the CRTs supposedly look better because they are fuzzier
compared to the crispness of the LCD. (I'm talking about Apple's
displays here; not cheap LCDs.) Dragging an image or text from one
monitor to the other shows dramatic differences.

I had to laugh at a photographer who was working on my system. She
wanted images on three monitors for another photo and when she dragged
one of them over to the CRT her face just fell at the way it washed out.

Shirley