LCD screens for DV editing ?

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Sat Aug 16 01:15:29 PDT 2003

Their is no question the LCD will be brighter, more colorful, and
crisper than any CRT... however, for video, the LCD is still useless
for color grading NTSC. RGB, on CRT's or LCD's, is a far cry from
accurate color when NTSC video is concerned. Again, a broadcast monitor
(which will look dull next to an uncalibrated LCD as well) is the only
sure way to get accurate color in video. As to the LCD and doing
photographic and pre press work, the display still has to be
calibrated, and when it is calibrated, the tonality will not be that of
a screaming full contrast, full brightness LCD... the color and
brightness will appear somewhat diminished. The problem is, to
calibrate a 23 inch Apple LCD requires an LCD calibration device, which
will set you back about the same as the display itself. We have many 20
and 23 inch Apple displays in our pre press and fine art offices (with
a calibrator), and none look like the ones you might see at the Apple
Store. Intense brightness and color are for things other than color
accurate work. Are the big LCD's enjoyable? Of course. Useful for color
correcting video? Not in the least. This reminds me of the good ol'
days of analog, when video production houses lamented what they saw on
their primordial computer workstations never translated well to a video
edit - until everyone got used to the limitations of NTSC, and worked
toward that peculiar color space.

I think a 23 inch display for Final Cut teamed with a Sony broadcast
monitor to preview and grade the video would be a great combination,
but the $1,300 pragmatic (extra) cost of using LCD over similar
resolution, and more cheaply calibrated (for print, NOT video) CRT
displays is a matter of your pocketbook. Do people with the dimmer,
less sharp CRT's put out perfect pre press work? Every day. Just not as
sexy as the LCD crowd. But neither the CRT nor LCD crowds color grade
video on their computer monitors with accuracy, else there'd be little
use for broadcast monitors, which populate, to this day, all serious
video post establishments.

I'd suggest anyone who can afford to own and calibrate LCD screen(s)
should take the plunge. We love them, but with the caveat: calibration
yields a different picture than you might expect. With CRT's,
calibration leads to many darkened workspaces in the world of
pre-press. Even CRT's have to be "brought down" to accurately display
pre-press work.

Richard Brown