setting out points in FCP4

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu Aug 28 14:21:17 PDT 2003

I have recently begun learning Final Cut Pro 4, and haven't found an
efficient way to fine tune the location of the out points when I am
editing clips.  Can anyone clue me in?

When I set the in point for a clip, I can quickly jump back to it
with the controls in the Viewer.  Then I can start the playback from
that point, and decide if the in point needs to be a few frames
earlier or later.  When I set the out point, I can also jump to it
with the Viewer controls.  What I don't know how to do is play the
last few seconds of the video before the out point, and have playback
stop at the out point.  This is most imporant when the sound track
needs to be cut after a specific word or sound (or right before and
unwanted sound).

In the Viewer, the playback will continue right on past the out
point, until the end of the clip.  Unless I click the button that
plays the video between the in and out points.  However, if the clip
is more than 10 seconds long, playing through the entire clip each
time I want to adjust the out point by a few frames is too slow.

What I do now is adjust the out point in the Viewer, then play the
end of the clip in the time line, then shift back to the viewer to
move the out point again, then back to the timeline, etc.  I am
hoping for something more efficient.  Any suggestions?

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, MSC03-2100
Ortega Hall Rm 129, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu