Best format for web movies?

Patty Winter patty1 at sonic.net
Thu Aug 28 15:36:13 PDT 2003

I recently got a Canon PowerShot A70 camera and am quickly
falling in love with it. ;-) I can take photos practically
into twilight without a tripod, and the movie feature is
way cool.

I made a little movie of my backyard waterfall and posted
it in AVI (its original format), QuickTime 4, and then
QuickTime 3 formats on my web site to test it with my
friends who have various computers. The QT3 format seemed
to have the most success, but some people couldn't even
view that one. I thought the Windows folks would all be
able to read the AVI file, but that turned out not to be
true. Not unexpectedly, a lot of people haven't upgraded
to QT 4 yet.

Does anyone have suggestions for what I can do to make
my movies universally accessible, or will there always
be some people who can't view them no matter what I do?
I've got enough spare directory space on my web server
that I can post two or even three versions of each movie
if that's what it takes. What concerns me is that I've
already tried three versions and still have some friends
who can't see the test movie.

Thanks,
Patty