[MacDV] Re: Formatting my hard drive

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Wed Dec 3 07:57:31 PST 2003

On Wednesday, December 3, 2003, at 09:33  AM, Peter van der Linden
wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2003, at 5:48 AM, Mark M. Florida wrote:
>
>> For any kind of media work which involves CONSTANT writing, deleting,
>> rewriting to a disk, a dedicated disk or partition will make
>> everything run SOOO much smoother as time goes on
>
> What does "smoother" mean in this context?

Smoother means that when your NLE software issues a set of commands
demanding
continuing the sequence
accessing sound files
and accessing video files
It will go smoother if it can have at least two different disks to get
them from.
Absolutely. Partitioning is not enough. Your drive only has so many
heads.
  A seperate disk for video at least is a must.
Jim