[MacDV] Filesize Limitations?

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Dec 3 07:54:58 PST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 3:41 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> Does Mac OS X have the problem with a 2Gb filesize limitation?  I've
> been working on learning how to edit video on my Mac, and I noticed
> that it looks like iMovie was splitting things into 2Gb chunks :^(

OS X doesn't have any problems with larger files. Its iMovie itself
that can't handle larger files, which is really a pity. I've heard
several plausible explanations for why this is so, but it seems that by
now they would have worked around this limitation.

Just FYI, yesterday's Apple Support Updates mailing had the following
entry:

iMovie: Importing Files Larger Than 2 GB
<http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n93494>
iMovie can import files up to 2 GB in size.

I got my hopes up, but it just explains how to use QT pro to split the
big file into smaller chunks for iMovie.

-Mike