[MacDV] Re: Formatting my hard drive

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Wed Dec 3 08:28:23 PST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 10:13 AM, Michael Winter wrote:

> Just seems IMO that some people put too much emphasis on partitioning
> for the wrong or outdated reasons. If you (or anyone) understands both
> the advantages and disadvantages involved, do what's right for you.
> I'll admit there are times partitioning makes sense.

Exactly!  And video editing is definitely one of those things that
benefits from having a separate media partition (or partitions).
People who do heavy Photoshop work (huge files that hit the scratch
disk a lot) should also think about creating an entirely separate
"scratch" partition to use exclusively as a Photoshop scratch disk -
between 4 and 8 GB, depending on how big your files are -- it REALLY
speeds up scratch disk usage to not have to compete with the gazillions
of system and application files that reside on the startup disk.  If
you do video *and* Photoshop work, Photoshop can use the media
partition(s) as scratch disk -- a few hundred large files (video clips)
is much less clutter to deal with than a few hundred THOUSAND tiny
system and app files...

- Mark F.