[MacDV] Re: Formatting my hard drive

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Wed Dec 3 08:35:00 PST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 8:35 AM, Paul Williams wrote:

> I'm actually getting two drives (both 160GB) and on the first would be
> the system in one partition, apps in the second, and the third would
> be for everything else.

Lucky dog...  You could split one drive in half -- one half for the
system *and* apps (DO NOT put the apps on separate partition -- bad
news in OS X), and the other half for your media.

> I was going to dedicate the second drive to nothing but video media
> files.

Excellent!

> No Norton? What do you recommend as a good disk utility?

Disk Warrior will cure any directory problems (what 90% of Mac disk
problems are ultimately related to), but if you want to use Norton
Speed Disk to defrag your media drives, I suppose that couldn't hurt
(but I wouldn't trust Disk Doctor), as long as you run it from the CD
and don't actually *install* all of the garbage that Norton uses to
"maintain" your system.  You may also want to look at Tech Tool Pro 4
or Drive 10 from Micromat.

- Mark F.