Recommended external FW drives (was Formatting Hard Drive)

David Crump davecrump at mac.com
Wed Dec 3 17:50:19 PST 2003

I would NOT recomment the QPS M3 100GB 7200rpm Firewire drive that I unfortunately bought. I bought it due to the stylish compact design for portability.  I've not been happy with it at all.  It seems to be my main cause of freeze-ups and kernel panics.  I also cannot seem to import DV without dropped frames even though it is 7200rpms.  I didn't realize at first, as I was using iMovie.  Then I noticed the jerkiness in the video.  Then I bought Final Cut Express which can abort on dropped frames.  It aborts immediately!
I've checked QPS's support site, and since I bought the drive over a year ago, it still says they don't support the M3 drive under OS X.  What a crock.
</end rant>
Dave.

On Wednesday, December 03, 2003, at 07:55AM, Macintosh Digital Video List