[MacDV] Re: s-video to DVD-r

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Dec 7 10:51:52 PST 2003

Personally I'm against using Toast as well, but not because of audio sync problems (I didn't see any in the 45 minute test disk I made).  I was most displeased with the quality.  I tried Toast and all the free solutions I could find, and not a single one could produce a decent quality VCD.  They all had way to much pixalization.  I'll continue to make my VCD's on my WinXP system, even though it takes 4-6 hours to encode 30 minutes of video, since by using TMPGenc Plus, I'm able to get better results than some of my *Commercial* DVD's!  I can't wait for the G5 version of Virtual PC, as I want to see how fast I can encode video using TMPGenc on a G5 2x2.

The sad thing is, it looks like it's cheaper to buy a dirt cheap PC and spend $50 on TMPGenc Plus, than it is to buy a decent MPEG1 encoded for the Mac!  I find this very frustrating as I was hoping to switch back to only using the Mac once I got my G5.

			Zane