[MacDV] Re: s-video to DVD-r

Ann Billups abillups at mac.com
Sun Dec 7 08:23:03 PST 2003

Eric has been very adamant about not using Toast 6 to burn VCD's
because of audio synching problems. Is it only when buring VCD's from
iMovie that the synching problem occurs? I have been using Toast, both
5 and 6, to burn VCD's since February of this year. All play fine, but
I am burning my EyeTV recordings. The VCD format works well because
most of the programs I am recording are a half hour in length. The
recording quality works fine for programs recorded off of TV. The only
audio synch problems I have had have been with an early version of the
EyeTV software, but that problem has been fixed. I have gone back and
played several of the CD's in my sony dvd player and on my computer and
they show no out of synch audio.

I have been hesitant about upgrading Toast 5 on my laptop with the
superdrive because of the problems that Eric has talked about. I have
Toast 6 on my G4 Cube with no DVD burner, just an external CD burner
and it works fine.

On Monday, December 1, 2003, at 05:20  AM, Eric Phillips wrote:

> Be careful about using Toast 6. I don't know how well it works to make
> DVDs but if you want VCD or SVCD it sucks. I have been trying to find
> out if anyone else has any experience with Toast 6 but no one will
> admit
> to using it so I don't know if it is only my problem or a bug in Toast.
> Toast 5.2.1 works great for making VCD but you can't do SVCD with it.
> The problem is the audio sync when encoding either VCD format. I have
> tried all the latest updates to QT, iMovie and Toast but non of these
> has fixed the problem. If you do want SVCD I would go with iVCD. I am
> not sure where I found the program but I am sure you could find it at
> Version Tracker. You will have to pay the shareware fee to remove the
> watermark form the encoded video.
>
> Good Luck,
> Eric

> I'd like a recommendation or two concerning importing video from S-vhs
> tape into a Mac G4 system. What is needed since the signal comes via
> composite video (or S cable) instead of Firewire?
>
> We want to edit footage using iMovie3 & then burn the final copy to
> disc
> using Toast 6 (or iDVD if that's better).
>
> Thanks ahead listers,
>
> Bruce

> digest version.

> $879!