[MacDV] Re: pal or ntsc for dvd

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Sun Dec 14 15:19:08 PST 2003

The video signal stored on a DVD platter is the same all over the world.
The DVD **player** contains circuits to read that one signal and
convert it into the appropriate national TV signal standards.  So you
just create a DVD, and it will play anywhere.

Note that this is different from the video signal stored on a videotape
- the signal on video tape is stored in a way that is different for
each national tv broadcast protocol.  Why does tape have this drawback?
  Probably because it is an older technology, or because worldwide
region compatibility has no benefit for the content providers.

The US film companies actually got together to enforce additional DVD
restrictions, known as "region encoding".  That prevents DVDs sold in
the US from being played on players for the European market, and vice
versa.  A few DVD players don't enforce the region limitations.  But
that limitation doesn't apply to you, since you are creating your own
content.

      Peter