networking: was: advice/suggestions re: video editing

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Tue Dec 16 08:11:30 PST 2003

Are the Macs connected to the Internet? Using OS9 or OSX? You should start off
with a router to network the Macs together. Macs are quite easy to network so
that won't be a problem. I have three Macs networked at home. What I think will
be a bit more challenging is to have all three Macs see all three external
drives and the digital tape deck. You could plug each drive into each Mac and
the tape deck as needed of course but if you want all three drives at the same
time I think you will need a fourth machine to act as a server. You can't
access external drives through the Chooser. I think you could configure an
older beige G3 to do the job with minimal cost.

By the look of your email you are at York University? You should get your IT
department to help you. They could add the drives to their network and you
could access them that way. If they are using an NT network (likely) you would
need some third party software like DAVE (if using OS9) to access them but once
setup it would be relatively easy to use.

These sites may help

http://www.techtutorials.com/Macintosh/Networking/

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/macnetworking/

http://www.themacintoshguy.com/MacTips/archive/tip30.shtml