[MacDV] Digitaal 8 vs Mini DV

R B Williams brucewll at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 06:37:48 PST 2003

I've noticed the same thing with Sony & Canon. I believe it has to do with the different
optics in each camera, though it may also have to do with the CCD chip itself. You can
get around the issue if each camera has white balance that can be set by the user.
Simply set them both to the same reference white card under the stadium lights at each
event.

For footage that is already on tape, pick the one that has the best color rendition as
your reference. Copy the second reel to another digital recorder (or camera via AV out's
& in's) through an external color processor. Then capture from that.

You can probably correct captured footage too in the computer, but there would be
rendering times to contend with and I don't think the results are visably different.

Robert Williams