[MacDV] Re: SCSI cards for a G5 2x2?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Dec 16 12:40:13 PST 2003

>Just say no to DLT!  What a silly tape system...
>
>Use AIT (Sony's 8mm data tape format) -- it's so much easier to use and more
>reliable...  I have a LaCie 4 tape autoloader that I use to back up our file
>server and clients at work, and have had no problems with it in the 3 years
>it's been in use.

Comments like that are the way flame wars get started...  The only reason I use 8mm (or 4mm for that matter) tapes is for short term backups, or to boot a system.  In any case I try to avoid both types of tape as much as possible for computer data.  DLT is the way to go, I've been using them for years, and the only real problems I've had are directly attributable to either people, or firmware upgrades (and the upgrades didn't prevent retrieving the data).  I've had numerous problems over the years with both 8mm and 4mm tapes (from the standpoint of recovering old data 4mm is the absolute worst, since you need to know what type drive the tape was written in).  Basically what I'm saying is that I'd rather hook up my 9-Track tape drive and use it, than use either an 8mm or a 4mm drive (I've been dealing with tapes and computers for over 20 years).

>As far as SCSI cards...  Look at ATTO cards -- I have used them for YEARS
>and have never had a problem with them.  As long as they'll work in your
>PCI-X slots, you're set.

I'm wondering if anyone has any cards out yet that are specifically PCI-X cards.

			Zane