[MacDV] Pioneer DVR 3100S: what have I got here?

Frank Farwell frankfarwell at mac.com
Wed Dec 17 06:26:55 PST 2003

On Tuesday, December 16, 2003, at 07:54 PM, YangZone at aol.com wrote:

> ......I was given a Pioneer DVR 3100S - (a kind of entertainment
> center unit that is designed to play DVDs and record from TV).

>  is... if it might somehow substitute for an external DV-R that I was
> considering for my Powerbook 800 (not Superdrive).

Not really

> Does this mean I can write to it... Export... and get a DVD? I'm
> wondering how I might use this unit with my Powerbook... or if it
> might even be relevant to final output from FCP.

the Quality can be Better say for a 2 hour DVD than what iDVD does for
90 minutes (i use a Phillips recorder model hooked to the TV) 4 hour is
about VHS quality and 3 hour is about SVHS quality.

You can write to the DVD recorder from your camcorder to the DVD-R disk
but you will have very few editing options. iDVD will not handle the
Mpeg2 format but with a superdrive on the mac you can make copies of
the DVD. When we are able to purchase a  program that will work with
Mpeg2 then you will be able to edit the files and so forth from the DVD
but so far iMovie only does DV format. Im not sure about Final Cut pro
or DVD Studio pro

frank farwell