[MacDV] We're a three-mac family!

Charlie Reyes otomed at skyinet.net
Wed Dec 17 16:15:18 PST 2003

>A 7200/120 PowerPC AV.
>
>A friend of his was throwing it into the dumpster and my
>husband saved it from certain doom. We had to beg and
>borrow a few items--a working keyboard and mouse, a couple
>of 2-Gig drives and some memory--but I got it all cleaned
>and working last night and now each of my girls has a Mac
>of her own (we'd already had a 7300/200).
>
>The new unit has the full A/V plugs. So does anyone
>know anything useful to do with them? I vaguely
>remember some poster or another mentioning that the old
>A/V units could be hacked to convert from PAL to NTSC
>(or back) in real time. Does this ring a bell?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>-- Erica

Open Apple System Profiler to see if the mobo is indeed a 7200/120. Chances
are it may have been upgraded with a 7500/7600/8550 TNT board to have AV-in
and Audio out-only capability. I've seen some with 8500 Nitro boards with
full AV in/out functions. These were good for capturing short 7 minute 35
seconds (2 gig HD space) analog video clips on pre-OS 9 (with Apple Video
Player) which can be spliced together for longer runs. Only 8500 boards can
output to U-matic, VHS recorders or another NTSC TV monitor.

Charlie