MiniDV vs Digital-8

David Crump davecrump at mac.com
Sat Dec 20 07:02:54 PST 2003

<snip>
And to those who didn't think much of the Sony Digital-8 solution, were
your comments based on your experiences with these cameras? This is the
first I've heard anyone say that Digital-8 was not as good as mini-DV.
Obviously, Digital-8 is Sony proprietary and they might want to stick
with mini-DV for that reason. But there is certainly no difference
between the resolution that is related to the kind of tape you use. The
DV standard can be written to a Hi-8 tape or to a mini-DV, but it is
the same standard. If there's a difference in the quality, it would be
based on the quality of the lens and camera, not the tape on which you
write.
</snip>

I did some looking around, and this is from Sony's website describing their Digital-8 Cameras:
"Digital8 Format 500 lines of horizontal resolution"
They don't list resolution of their MiniDV cameras, but I thought MiniDV resolution was greater than that (although probably not a large enough difference for the average eye to see on a regular sized television).  I'm sure resolution must be standard with all MiniDV and someone here probably knows what it is off the top of their head (not me).  Wouldn't that just be the vertical pixel count? (i.e. If I set my monitor to 800x600 I will have 600 lines of horizontal resolution?)