pal or ntsc for dvd

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Sat Dec 20 09:13:27 PST 2003

On 12/19/03 at 9:23 PM, cathal mc carthy <mccarthycathal at eircom.net>
transmitted the following electronic message:

>If my US relations can get a low end dvd that will play a pal dvd will
>thier ntsc tv sets play it?
>
>On Thursday, December 18, 2003, at 05:23 PM, cathal mc carthy wrote:
>
>> I am trying to set up fce to make some dvds for friends in the USA.
>> As I am in Ireland everything here like my Video camcorder is  PAL
>> so I have to work in PAL What happens so I can only write pal dvds.
>> What if I suggest to my relations in the states to buy one of the
>> low end dvd players that have been suggested will that work on their
>> T.V.s in the USA seeing that its all NTSC there?

Well, I have four cheap-o DVD players (Philips 704, Philips Q35, Apex
1200, and a NextBase). They all play both NTSC and PAL DVDs, VCDs, and
SVCDs which play on my 32" RCA, 21" Philips, and 19" Apex TVs -- the
NextBase is a portable unit that I generally hook up to an old Apple B&W
15" LCD monitor, the one that had the composite inputs.

--
Dennis R. Cohen
Mac Digital Photography