[MacDV] imovie storage

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Tue Dec 30 18:01:58 PST 2003

On Dec 30, 2003, at 5:02 PM, Norm Lamoureux wrote:
>  I have a PowerMac G4 with a 120 gig hard
> drive. I am already down to under 20 gig. What would
> be the best way to store these projects while still
> having easy access? Do I need another hard drive?

If you lack sufficient storage, you need to add more.  Yes, the only
practical way to do that is with another hard drive.  Your choices are:
1.  replace the current internal drive with a bigger one (up to 180GB)
      You might be able to re-sell or trade the old drive.  Or keep it,
per option 2.
       Or you can get an external enclosure and controller for the old
drive
      such as one from ADS Technology - http://www.adstech.com/ -
      and reuse it externally (e.g. for backups or more store), per
option 3.
2.  add additional internal drives (up to 4 drives total, for 720GB)
3.  add external firewire drives.  G4s only have firewire 400MHz.

Option 3 gives you the most flexibility going forward; it makes your
data more easily portable.  I like the Wiebetech models - see
http://www.wiebetech.com/home.html - my policy is to get the biggest,
fastest disks I can afford, confident that a bigger, faster, cheaper
one will come on the market shortly after I buy.  It never fails.

Try to get a bus-powered drive if you add external 1394 storage.  It
reduces the tangle of cables on your desk by eliminating a separate
transformer and power cable. Avoid USB storage - too slow.

       Peter