[MacDV] Re: imovie storage

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Tue Dec 30 18:10:31 PST 2003

On Dec 30, 2003, at 6:01 PM, Peter van der Linden wrote:

>  my policy is to get the biggest, fastest disks I can afford,

Also be aware that the Apple disk controller is a factor in how large a
disk drive you can use.  For example, the ASIC used in the iMac disk
controller limits ATAPI storage to a 128GB drive.   This was a factor
when I upgraded my iMac a year ago.   There were a few 200 GB drives on
the market then, which I would have liked, but I was limited to (what
now seems a mind-bogglingly miserly) 128GB.

I don't know how you can find out in general the limitations of the
supporting I/O hardware.  You need to be a bit hardwary.  Maybe ask on
one of the newsgroups how large a disk other people have used
successfully.  Apple never pushes the state of the art in I/O capacity,
probably to keep the prices lower.  Those who want to upgrade are free
to do so, within limits.

      Peter