[MacDV] Re: imovie storage

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Tue Dec 30 19:55:17 PST 2003

On Tuesday, December 30, 2003, at 10:40  PM, Daniel Beck wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2003, at 12:20 PM, James Asherman wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, December 30, 2003, at 09:42  PM, Juan Mariscal wrote:
>>
>>> This must be true of Final Cut Express too, correct?????
>>
>> Might be , might not be.
>
> I wasn't sure either, so that's why I wrote "Final Cut" and not FCP or
> FCE.
>
>> Truth is all this logging and looking at the tapes over and over and
>> batch capture and logging decisions are a major pain, big loss of
>> time and a holdover from the time when 9 gig drives cost 1100$.
>
> It's not a holdover. It's the norm. Unless you don't do that much
> editing. Plus, you don't need to use batch capture to do what I was
> suggesting. You can simply use Capture Now. This will require more HD
> space while editing, but allows you to dump the media files when
> you're done, thus saving hundreds if not thousands in HD costs.
>
>> With hundreds of gigabytes to spare, do your project and then maybe
>> line up the originals of all the clips you actually used and run them
>> out to a DV tape. EAsier, quicker, easier on your playback unit.
>
> Sorry if I sound contentious (not my intent), but this seems more
> labor-some to me. I'd just assume let FCP do the "remembering" for me.
> Again, how often are you going to need to import from those tapes. Not
> very often unless it's footage you use over and over; in which case,
> yeah, leave that footage on a HD.
>
> Again, just a different way of looking at these things, I guess.
> Daniel

Absolutely.
For me, going through three hours of tape and marking it only to have
to back up and do the batch capture is a waste of time. Nobody pays me
that much and they assume I will get it right the first time.
And right, "stock footage" has a folder. And I have 80 gigs empty(third
HD) to store hours of footage should I deem it necessary. Save the
project file too and bingo, I have still only run the tapes once and
the machine didn't take all that (what I think is) abuse.
Jim