[MacDV] Re: imovie storage

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Dec 30 20:16:20 PST 2003

>On Dec 30, 2003, at 5:02 PM, Norm Lamoureux wrote:
>> I have a PowerMac G4 with a 120 gig hard
>>drive. I am already down to under 20 gig. What would
>>be the best way to store these projects while still
>>having easy access? Do I need another hard drive?
>
>If you lack sufficient storage, you need to add more.  Yes, the only practical way to do that is with another hard drive.  Your choices are:
>1.  replace the current internal drive with a bigger one (up to 180GB)

Since he has a G4, he might not be able to take a HD internally larger than 120Mb.

>Option 3 gives you the most flexibility going forward; it makes your data more easily portable.  I like the Wiebetech models - see http://www.wiebetech.com/home.html - my policy is to get the biggest, fastest disks I can afford, confident that a bigger, faster, cheaper one will come on the market shortly after I buy.  It never fails.

I just got a DuoGB enclosure from Wiebetech, it was on sale, and they seem to have discontinued it.  I slapped an 80Gb and 120Gb drive I had laying around into it, and it's working great on my G5 2x2 (even though it's only Firewire400)  for FCE and DVDSP 2.0.

>power cable. Avoid USB storage - too slow.

Most definitely, I'm not even sure USB storage could be used for video work.

Another option for storing data that's not currently in use is a tape drive.  I'm currently trying to figure out how on earth I can connect a DLT7000 FWD-SCSI (yes, that's Fast Wide Differential :^( ) tape drive to my G5 2x2.  If I can swing it the main use will be archiving video footage.

		Zane