[MacDV] Re: more about the inutility of defragmenting an OS X FS.

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Tue Dec 30 20:15:22 PST 2003

> Dec 30, 2003, at 7:45 PM, James Asherman wrote:
>
>>> According to Apple, disk de-fragmentation is "probably not required
>>> if you use MacOS X"  and
>>>     "there is little benefit to defragmenting."
>>
>> If you don't care about speed or organization or performance.

Please allow me to phrase this question in a less contentious way, and
a way which may yield more light than heat.  After all, it is possible
that the Apple technical note I referred to is wrong and that I am also
mistaken.

James - why do you believe that there is a performance improvement to
defragmenting a disk drive under OS X?  What have you observed or
measured that leads you to believe this?  I accept that this was useful
in the days of OS 9, and wonder if you are thinking of that experience?
  What aspect of performance has improved for you, and by how much, and
how did you measure it under OS X?

Second, what is an "organization" improvement?  I am not familiar with
that term.

Thanks,

     Peter