[MacDV] Re: more about the inutility of defragmenting an OS X FS.

Peter van der Linden pvdl at afu.com
Wed Dec 31 10:37:48 PST 2003

On Dec 31, 2003, at 9:53 AM, James Asherman wrote:

> I could turn journalingg on. Is that a good thing?
> Jim

Yes.  You want journaling enabled on your filesystems in general.  It
makes the FS more resilient in the event of unrecoverable I/O failure
(like power off), and makes file system integrity repair much much
faster.  fsck now does nothing except update the disk with uncommitted
transactions.  Journaling doesn't improve performance, and may detract
marginally, but the price is well worth paying.

It's great that Panther does journalling by default.

     Peter