[MacDV] Re: more about the inutility of defragmenting an OS X FS.

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Wed Dec 31 11:02:43 PST 2003

In my opinion, you're both a little extreme in your views.  (check

It's certainly true that modern drive and OS technology lessens the
need for defragging, but that's for what would be considered "normal"
usage like e-mail, word processing, and even editing small images.  I'd
hardly consider working with digital video "normal" usage -- capturing
gigabytes upon gigabytes of a time-critical data stream -- your hard
drive *must* operate at a certain level of performance or else you get
dropped frames and longer render times.  Granted, 4 MB/sec. for DV
isn't much these days, but over time performance could certainly
degrade to a point where frames start getting dropped and rendering
times increase, due to countless cycles of capturing, editing,
rendering, deleting, etc. (not to mention all of the other things you
do with your computer like image editing, e-mail, downloading files,
installing software -- all of which can contribute to eventual
fragmentation).  And even though Panther will optimize files under 20
MB "on-the-fly", most video files are much larger than that, and will
therefore not be optimized -- so after multiple cycles of capturing,
editing, deleting, it is very possible there will be fragmentation,
especially if capturing to the system startup disk which already has to
deal with hundreds of thousands of tiny OS X system and application
files.

So...  While it's probably not necessary to defrag/optimize your hard
drive every day, or even every week, it's probably still a good idea to
have some sort of maintenance routine if you do a lot of video work (or
even edit large files with Photoshop).  I'd stay away from Norton Speed
Disk, though -- what a hack!

My suggestion would be to have a completely separate drive *just* for
video (or even an entirely separate partition on the same physical disk
as your System/apps) which you can reformat periodically as projects
are completed.  Nothing defrags a drive like a good formatting...  ;-)
And even if you don't reformat your drive in between projects, the fact
that your media files don't have to contend with your system and
application files should allow things to continue to operate smoothly
as time goes on.

That's *my* 2 cents anyway...

- Mark