[MacDV] Re: The 20inch LCD Conspiracy

SLarsonIH at aol.com SLarsonIH at aol.com
Sat Feb 1 00:27:48 PST 2003

I will grant you that I am making an assumption or two, and yes, I do know
what assume means. From what people have said on these lists, I gathered,
right or wrong that DVD Pro was the big brother to iDVD, with the desirable
part being that DVD Pro can burn a DVD to an external DVD burner, whereas
iDVD requires an internal drive. Is this not true? I joined this list, and
others, to learn. It seems to me, based on other programs Apple has made, in
the past, that Apple included code to see if you have a newer system, and if
not, wouldn't let you install iDVD, but will install DVD Pro. I can't prove
it, bot LOTS of people have come to the same conclusion, and have said so.

<< That is so stupid it hardly merits a response. Do you actually know
anything about the code base for these two products, or are you just
making this up? What makes you think there is some well-defined block
of code that can simply be "pasted" into iDVD? Do you know anything
about what it takes to split a software baseline and create two copies
for deployment on two different platforms?>>

Two different platforms? I don't see how that applies here. I was under the
impression from what I've read that iDVD and DVD Pro work in both OS9 and
OSX. Is this not true? I don't have the $100 for DVD pro or an internal built
Mac so I can't speak first hand.

<<Sounds like your position is:  people who don't give me what I want are
bad - if I can dream that its easy, then its somebody else's job to
make my dream come true.>>

Not at all. Nobody is obligated to give me anything, except what I pay for or
they promise me.

<<Aside from that, just assuming that there were one line of code that
would make DVD burning work on an 8600, why is Apple obligated to give
that to anyone? It is absolutely ethical for Apple to restrict new
capabilities to new platforms to "boost" sales. That's what it means to
own a business - having the moral and legal right to decide what
products you make and what the product does.  (unless you're Microsoft).>>

They're not obligated. Ethical? Probably. But, is it in Apple's best interest
to alienate long time Mac users. I've been a cheerleader for Macs for a long
time. (12 systems just in my immediate family) I think that entitles me to
comment on something I don't think is smart or fair in my eyes. I am not a
Mac sheep who says that Apple can do no wrong. It's the best computer out
there, and most of what they do is 'right on'. But, when I don't like
something they do, you can bet I'll say something, if only in the hopes that
Apple will hear and change their stance.

<<This is exactly the same kind of rant that MS is subjected to, and
amounts to a rejection of business property rights.

SR >>

STeve